The ketogenic diet almost completely eliminates carbohydrate foods from the diet for an extended period of time. The main source of energy for the body is its own fat stores.
In a way, the ketogenic diet tricks your brain into therapeutic fasting.
What is the essence of the ketogenic diet
The source of energy in a regular diet is carbohydrates, and in this case, due to the low amount of carbohydrates, the energy explosion comes at the expense of fat. By following this diet, we ensure the breakdown of fats, the formation of fatty acids and ketone bodies in the liver. Once in the brain, they have an anticonvulsant effect. This is why such a diet is also recommended for epilepsy. At the same time, the body is in ketosis and the ongoing replacement of carbohydrates with ketones is suitable for the brain, which plays a major role in the weight loss process.
Ketogenic diet rules
The diet has been in use for six days. Guided by certain rules, you can achieve an effective result.
- During the first three days it is allowed to drink in unlimited quantities only non-carbonated mineral water or ordinary drinking water.
- Soft drinks and sugary juices are prohibited.
- It's best to stay in bed during this time.
- Foods can be introduced gradually on the fourth day of the diet.
- The serving size should be a quarter of the usual size.
- The ratio of fat, protein and carbohydrate should be 4: 1: 1, respectively.
- Complete waiver provided for:
- root crops;
- pasta and flour products;
Very useful information and commentary on the system upon which the ketogenic diet is based can be found in the writings of Lyle MacDonald.
Ketogenic diet menu
Menus can be composed using combinations of a variety of foods and recipes. We will look at one of the options for weight loss.
- Breakfast:boiled chicken eggs, coffee with cream and a piece of butter.
- Second breakfast:salad of lean meat, onion and cucumber with vegetable oil.
- Lunch:a tomato, two sausages, a tablespoon of mayonnaise.
- Snack:coffee with cream and a piece of butter bread with butter.
- Dinner:boiled chicken seasoned with vegetable oil, boiled green beans and a piece of butter.
According to this principle, we compose the menu for 5 days, the remaining 2 days we leave for the consumption of carbohydrates. And in general, you can see the result during the week.
Pros and Cons of the Ketogenic Diet
Every diet has its pros and cons, and ketogenic is no exception. Its advantages include:
- actual result;
- reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease; Ketones
- provide good energy for the brain;
- is used for the treatment of certain types of cancerous tumors.
The disadvantages are:
- decrease in the level of free testosterone in the blood plasma;
- long-term inability to use (nausea occurs);
- discomfort during the first days of the diet;
- Insufficient supply of trace elements and vitamins.
Contraindications for use
Before starting a diet, it is advisable to consult specialists, but if you are in perfect health, carefully study the list of contraindications:
- diabetes mellitus;
- metabolic disorders;
- kidney and liver disease;
- disturbances in the work of the cardiovascular system;
- lipid and cerebrovascular diseases.
It is very important to take into account the age, weight and nutritional needs of each organism. If necessary, you can adjust the speed.